Monday, November 30, 2009

More from George Macdonald

 

"I am sorry I cannot explain the thing to you," he answered, "but there is no provision in you for understanding it.  Not merely, therefore, is the phenomenon inexplicable to you, but the very nature of it is inapprehensible by you.  Indeed I but partially apprehend it myself.  At the same time you are constantly experiencing things which you, not only do not, but cannot understand.  You think you understand them but your understanding of them is only your being used to them, and therefore not surprised at them.  You accept them, not because you understand them, but because you must accept them: they are there and have unavoidable relations with you!  The fact is, no man understands anything; when he knows he does not understand, that is his first tottering step--not toward understanding, but toward the capability of one day understanding.  To such things as these you are not used, therefore you do not fancy you understand them.  Neither I nor any man can here help you to understand but I may, perhaps, help you to believe!"

No comments:

Post a Comment